Thursday, March 3, 2011

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 3 - Episode 7 Review (Face, Face, Face of Cakes)

For those who have not seen the episode, click on the line below
http://www.logotv.com/video/episode-7-season-3-face-face-face-of-cakes/1658507/playlist.jhtml

The episode starts off with Manila, Delta, Carmen and Raja calling each other "Heather" based on the 1989 cult-classic movie "Heathers" starring Winona Ryder and Shannon Doherty. Basically, these 4 girls consider themselves as the 4 cutest and most intimidating girls in the competition. In my opinion, I can say that Raja and Manila are competition because they've proved it based on their outfits and winning challenges. I can't say the same about Delta and Carmen (even though Carmen wins most of the mini-challenges). Now Rupual comes out and gives the queens their mini-challenge. They have to pose in a tasteful nude photo-shoot and serve face and "womana". Immediately, Delta says she doesn't like to have sex naked? You can talk all this crap about Stacy but to me, she's the most insecure person in the competition. The standouts to me were Raja (she's a model of course), Yara Sofia, and Delta (suprisingly). What was even more surprising, was Carmen Carerra winning the mini-challenge (for the 3rd time in the competition).

Now the real challenge is brought to the queens. They had to create a couture outfit based on a cake they are assigned. Since Carmen won the mini-challenge, she assigned each queen a cake. Here's what each queen was given.

Alexis Mateo - Cheesecake
Shangela - Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Yara Sofia - Strawberry Shortcake
Stacy Layne Matthews - Red Velvet Cake
Delta Work - Angel Cake
Manila Luzon - Carrot Cake
Raja - Chocolate Lava Cake
Carmen Carerra - Princess Cake

Now, here's why I'm not a fan of Shangela. After she was eliminated last season on the 1st episode for not being able to sew a good outfit, she should have went home and taken Sewing 101. Now she's backa year later and still can't sew. To me, that makes me wonder if she can make it further in the competition and will she choke. When Rupaul came into the workroom, she gave the queens another challenge. They have to decorate a cake based on their personality.

The Runway Portion:
Yara Sofia - To me, she had one of the best dresses on the runway. Definitely couture and i loved how the thorns on her dress complimented her tattoos.

Manila Luzon - It was definitely couture. But I hated the belt. It looked like my sister made it. It was ok.

Alexis Mateo - I liked the outfit from the waist up. Now I admit the skirt was a bedspread, but it wasn't one of the worst.

Carmen Carerra - I loved the hair. Now I hated the outfit at first, but after watching it again, I really like it. The only thing I didn't like was the big poof on her shoulder. Less of it would have made it better.

Stacy Layne Bryant Matthews - I've grown to like her and I wanted her to do well. But that was the worst outfit in the competition so far. The only thing I liked about it was the poof on her shoulder. But as a big girl, she should have definitely worn a dress rather than a one-piece suit.

Shangela - It was a plain yellow dress with an ornament on her shoulder. Not good but it was better than expected for Shangela.

Delta Work - It was toooooooo much going on with the outfit. The hat, the hair, the shoulder jacket. And as a big girl, why would you tie your waist up? That is a fashion no-no.

Raja - You know you're the shit when you can flash your underwear and still have the best outfit. It was amazing and her cake was good too.

Now, the judges loved Raja, Manila and Delta's outfit. I can understand Raja and maybe Manila but Delta??? I disagree. I thought Top 3 were Raja, Yara and a toss-up between Carmen and Manila.

Raja was named the winner (her 2nd big-challenge win). The bottom 2 were Stacy Layne Matthews (deserving) and Alexis Mateo (disagree, should have been Shangela or Delta). The LFYL song was "Knock on Wood" by Amii Stewart and Alexis KILLED IT. Stacy had no chance and she was sent home. It was definitely sad to see her go home but after that outfit, definitely deserving.

To me, I think this season is becoming very predictable now. I see Delta going home next (it's really time for her to go), then Carmen (boring), then Shangela (I don't think Ru will keep her to the top 4 when the challenge is mostly sew-related), then Yara (she's flying under the radar but not top 3). Top 3: Alexis, Manila and Raja. I think Raja will win the whole thing but Manila can win as well so it's close.

Next week, the queens will have to "read" each other (can't wait to see Shangela read these bitches) and have to deliver a stand-up comedy routine. Based on this, I can see Delta, Carmen and Alexis struggling because they are not funny at all. Shangla might actually win a challenge because she's the funniest one that can deliver a stand-up. Manila and Yara might rely on Asian jokes and Spanish jokes respectively and the judges might get then on that. Raja's a wild card in this challenge. Can't wait for next week



Clenny Kravitz
Team Raja, Manila and Alexis!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment